This entry was written on my former blog in 2012. I recently came across it and didn’t know how much I needed this message until I realized that I was unhappy with areas of my life. This post reminded me that I need to start focusing on my happiness and start taking these steps once again to find my happiness. This post was originally written during a time when I was looking for a New Year’s Resolution… As I thought about a goal, or resolution that I wanted to set for myself, just to follow the traditions of entering into a new year, I stumbled upon the question that made me reevaluate my life. I asked myself a question… “Are you Happy?” That question presented some difficulty and confusion for me. Am I happy with my life’s direction? Am I happy with the situations and people that are in my life? Am I just happy overall?
What is Happiness?
“Happiness is a mental state of well-being characterized by positive emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy…including biological, psychological, religious, and philosophical approaches.” In my opinion, happiness is closely related to that of the Quality of Life. Quality of life is the total inclusion of life’s satisfaction including role functioning; self esteem; spiritual fulfillment; control over the environment; security in the present and future; social integration; enjoyment, appreciation; and pleasure. Everyone should evaluate their lives, and ask himself or herself “do I really feel this way about my life?” Is it possible to live a healthy life without being happy? Can we become satisfied with life without being happy? Being or becoming happy should be a priority in everyone’s life.
How to Become Happy?
Simple question. Right? However, the question becomes difficult to answer. Everyone has different thoughts, ideas, or opinions of what happiness is. One person may find happiness through his or her relationships with other people, whereas, another person may find it through working and achieving goals. Both contribute to each of their qualities of life. Anything that contributes to a person’s quality of life contributes to their happiness. In order for anyone to be happy, they have to find what is important, and what is satisfying and fulfilling to them and focus on achieving that.
Here is a small list of guidelines that may be helpful for building the quality of life in search for happiness:
- Take time to reflect on your day! Take time to reflect on your life. Take some alone time! Reflection is important to do everyday, because it allows you to be able to identify mistakes that have happened in your life. Reflection is a great way to learn from mistakes, and become wiser about specific situations.
- Do Not Rush Into Things! So many people seem to rush into many things, and are not sure that it is the right thing to do. For example, people rush into relationships searching for happiness, but end up getting more stress, and drama. Rushing and making decisions from feelings in the moment can cause you to have the problems of a lifetime. Be smart and take your time.
- Plan and Set Goals! Everyone should have a plan for his or her life, or an idea of the direction that they want to go. Plans often change, but it is important to have an outline. By planning your life, you develop an idea of goals that are important to you. You then have directions for developing a good quality of life. If you do not know where you are going, how will you know when you get there.
- Surround Yourself With Positive People! You should not associate with people who cannot challenge and engage you! Everyone around you should be an asset to your life and not liabilities. If they are not the sunlight helping your flower blossom, then they are stunting your growth, and it is time to let them go and move on.
- Stay Positive! Being positive can often be hard, when there is so much negativity around. However, it is VERY important to stay positive. Your thoughts, beliefs, and feelings always predict the outcome of situations. So if you stay positive about all things, you will see positive results.
- When you fall, get back up and try again. Never give up on anything. Life will be hard at times. We all will go through heartaches, breakups, fights, disappointments, and mistakes. Do not let those low points in life stop you. You pick yourself up, smile and be happy. What does not kill you will only make you stronger.
I hope these will help you throughout your year. Lets focus on happiness.
(Retro Rewind are posts that were posted on a previous blog site. This post was created in 2012)